Try These Fresh Ideas to Keep Up with Nutrition on the Go
Whether it’s soccer, swimming, softball, tennis or other sports, many families take on extra busy sports schedules in the summer. And fueling up to meet that much-needed athlete-worthy nutrition they need may take a bit of planning ahead. Pack coolers for the kids on the run, fill the fridge with easily accessible items and keep a good supply of nutritional snacks available. Parents will also want to try to stick to a regular mealtime schedule as often as possible.
JUST BECAUSE YOU’RE BUSY DOESN’T MEAN YOU CAN’T GRAB SOMETHING NUTRIENT-PACKED TO EAT
We are a GO, GO, GO society as more people are running from jobs to home to pick up kids, and more. And sometimes, eating healthy is put on the back burner because we are so busy.
While preparing a healthy meal does take time & planning, it doesn’t always have to. But what do you do when you DON’T have time to plan out and prepare every meal?
Snacking can help active individuals by providing the energy and nutrients they need during the day. There are many ways to have quick meals ready to go by preparing ahead of time or carrying a nutrient-packed snack with you to enjoy on the go.
- Prepare meals in advance
- Experiment with healthier substitutes
- Eat snacks that are delicious and contain less than 1 gram of sugar
- Keep a stocked and balanced pantry, with favorite foods along with nutritious ones
- Make fruits & veggies an accessible snack
- Also make sure to take time to pack a nutrient-dense lunch if you plan to be away from the home… and don’t forget to add your favorite snack!
Registered dietitian Kristin Kirkpatrick shows us what healthy eating on the go can look like for all the busy people out there this summer.