What to Look for When Shopping Organic and Natural Food Choices at the Grocery Store
It’s no surprise that Americans could stand to eat a little healthier. And while grocery stores are typically filled with a variety of choices, one of the easiest ways to get on the path to nutritious eating is to understand what to look for when shopping organic and natural food.
Shopping Organic and Natural Food Choices at the Grocery Store
Why is it important to learn these skills?
- The Center for Disease Control estimates that 78.6 million US adults (or one third of the population) are obese.
- Multiple studies have shown that healthy eating is more important than exercise when it comes to reaching and maintaining healthy weight.
- Being obese puts a person at higher risk for serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and certain cancers.
With so many choices available, how can Americans get back on track?
Annessa Chumbley RD has made a career of helping people learn how to live healthier lifestyles. She joined me to give tips on how to make healthier food choices at the grocery store, and discussed what people can do to make the most out of their food decisions. She also shared a few of her favorite natural and organic recipes, sure to please everyone.
To make Annessa’s meals at home, check out her recipes below.
Apple Oat Waffles
1 O Organics egg
1 organic apple, such as Gala, cored and coarsely chopped with skin on
1/2 teaspoon O Organics® ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup O Organics® almond milk
2 cups whole oats
Optional Toppings: sliced apples, cinnamon, maple syrup or whipped cream.
- In a blender, add ingredients in order beginning with egg, apple, cinnamon, salt, almond milk, and oats. Blend until all ingredients are combined, stopping blender to stir ingredients if needed.
- Brush waffle maker with coconut oil or nonstick spray. Use 1/3 cup batter per waffle. Cook until golden brown. Top as desired!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Serving size 2 waffles
Makes 6-7 waffles
Servings Per Recipe: 3
Serving Size: 2 Waffles
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 5.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 389.1 mg
Potassium 134.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
Sugars 10.0 g
Protein 8.4 g
Maple-Glazed Quinoa Porridge
4 cups cooked O Organics™ Quinoa
2 – 3 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoon O Organics cinnamon
1/2 cup figs, chopped, torn or sliced
4 tablespoons almond butter
6 tablespoons O Organics pure maple syrup, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt (unless quinoa is already salted)
smashed raspberries or blackberries
toasted unsweetened coconut
- In a medium large saucepan, add quinoa and 2 cups coconut milk, stirring over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low.
- Stir in cinnamon, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and figs. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove porridge from heat. Stir in a little more coconut milk.
- In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of maple syrup & almond butter. Microwave for 15 seconds, and stir together. Drizzle hot maple glaze onto porridge. Scoop into bowls and add toppings on, and more chopped figs if desired. Enjoy a morning bowl of fall comfort!
serving size: 1/2 cup
serves: about 12
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Amount Per Serving
Also, to help jump start your healthy eating journey by shopping organic and natural food, I am hosting a giveaway for one (1) $50 gift card for any AlbertsonsSafeway owned grocery store. To enter, send an email to: email@example.com with the following words: “Grocery Card-I Want To Win” in the subject line. The winner will be notified on Wednesday 2/10/2016. Good Luck!
To locate an AlbertsonsSafeway owned grocery store in your local area, visit here and here.
[…] everywhere to turn their groceries into good and #GiveFromTheCart to donate the value of their last grocery cart to help a family in […]