Got Gym Phobia? Here are 10 Simple Ways To Get A Great Workout At Home
Get A Great Workout At Home
Usually when you hear the word workout, a gym membership automatically comes to mind. Soon after, thoughts of getting there, what to wear, and the uneasy feeling of people staring at you makes you go from highly motivated to exercise, to extremely hesitant. While it is true that working out at the gym offers a wider variety of exercise options, staying at home to workout has many benefits and options as well.
It can certainly be more convenient, comfortable and safe to work out at home. If you have children, it also allows them to see you being active, which will inspire them to do the same.
There are more options of tasks and activities that you can combine exercise other than watching the TV monitors mounted on the gym walls. If you buy cardio fitness machines from Tesco or other exercise equipment, it is a one-time expense versus a weekly, monthly, or annual one; plus other family members can use it. The best benefit: you don’t have to keep your eyes on the clock: working out at home makes it easy to have short bouts of activity all throughout the day whenever you want.
Ways To Get A Great Workout At Home
If you have a busy schedule or the mere thought of going to the gym freaks you out, here are some simple ways to get a great workout at home:
- Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone or having your kids to do it.
- Do squats or jog in place for 60 seconds in between household chores. Turn on some music and dance while cleaning around the house.
- Do some outdoor yard work. Plant a garden, rake leaves, or mow the grass (using a riding mower doesn’t count). Sweep your sidewalk/street curb to keep your home’s curb appeal fresh. Prune, dig and pick up trash.
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both!
- Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
- When watching TV, do sit-ups during commercial breaks or opening/closing movie credits. Place your remote controls across the room so that you are forced to walk to get them when needed. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink or a snack, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone, or walk up and down the stairs.
- Walk the dog. Do some stretches. Do yoga. Or take a quick walk around the block when you check your mail.
- Park farther away at the grocery store and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the store.
- Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
- Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!
ways to get a great workout at home
According to the American Heart Association, 30 minutes of physical activity a day can greatly improve heart health. By sneaking a few ‘life hacks’ into your around-the-house routine, you will ease your way onto the path of better health without even knowing it.
I am proud to be a Go Red Blogger Ambassador for the American Heart Association, using social media to drive awareness of the fight against heart disease in women in order to live healthier, stronger and longer lives.
Oy, I really need to try to put some of these in practice. I was trying to do some exercises while cooking but that only lasted one or two meals 😛
Great tips I rather work out at home than in a gym.
Somedays there is a lot of homework. It definitely can feel like a real workout!
I like the idea of exercising during commercials. As many as they play, you could get a lot in!
I love taking a short walk after dinner. Our subdivision is nice and quiet so it’s perfect to walk around.
I have tried some of these tips and my daughter looks at me crazy when I do them! When I have to check the mail (the mailbox is down our drive, pretty far) I always try to run to and from. I figure it is better than walking.
These are super simple and super easy ways to get a workout at home, I am glad you are sharing this because so many think it’s difficult to find a way to work out, but it isn’t. Well, it doesn’t have to. I thank you for sharing some simple ideas!
I have a few shows that I DVR that I only allow myself to watch while I am working out. When I see the backlog on the DVR I know I’ve not worked out enough. I also work out longer sometimes because I want to see the end o the show.
There really are so many things we can do right in the house. It doesn’t seem like much sometimes, but all the little things add right up!
I love working out at home. Thanks for the great tips on sneaking in a few exercises.
What great suggestions for fitness activity around the house. I enjoy getting outside for walks and planting the garden.
Some great ways to get some exercise in, especially in this cold winter weather! Thanks for sharing!
I try to do a lot of these tips. When i do the stairs i always try to make it a butt work out.
I love all of these ideas! There is no excuse to not have time to work out…you can do it at home!